For the tenth time, the Clash of Realities international research conference is providing the opportunity for interdisciplinary exchange and dialogue. Experts from the academy, science and research, economics, politics, and the game industry will discuss pressing questions concerning the artistic design, technological development, and social perception of digital games, as well as the spreading of games literacy.
This conference welcomes scholars, social scientists, game developers, specialists in education and media, up-and-coming creative talents, students, and all those interested in and excited by digital games.
More than 50 international speakers from the academy, science and research, economics, politics and the game industry along with an enthusiastic audience will convene at the Cologne Game Lab, TH Köln – University of Applied Science, a pillar of interdisciplinary exchange and dialogue.
The conference kick-off including the opening keynote will be followed by a day of summits featuring talks, project presentations, panel discussions, and workshops. Finally, the main day of the Clash of Realities will feature renowned speakers from all around the globe.
As part of the tenth anniversary edition, the conference will also host the interactive touring exhibition „Games Culture in Germany. Milestones“ by the Computerspielemuseum, which presents a selection of milestones in German games culture.
We are looking forward to welcoming you to the Cologne Game Lab of TH Köln in November 2019.
November 19, 2019 – Conference Opening
• Young Academics Workshop: Games, Play, Mental Health [more]
• Conference Opening Event featuring a keynote by Jörg Friedrich as well as a theatrical performance by the European Ensemble G.I.F.T.
November 20, 2019 – Summit Day
• Game Studies Summit: Paratextualizing Games [more]
• Media Education Summit: Digital Games and Children [more]
• Game Development Summit: Strange Worlds – About Spatial Experiences in Digital Games [more]
• History in Games Summit: Contingencies of an Authentic Past [more]
• Film and Games Summit: Crossing Boundaries in Narrative [more]
November 19 – 21, 2019 – Interactive touring exhibition by the Computerspielemuseum
• Games Culture in Germany. Milestones [here]
Program Board & Team Clash of Realities 2019
Since 2018 the conference has expanded its network and collaborated with the A MAZE. / Berlin – International Games and Playful Media Festival as well as the Quo Vadis – game development & business conference, both integral parts of gamesweekberlin.
Clash of Realities at Quo Vadis [more]
Game Design as Gardening
Clash of Realities at A.MAZE [more]
Cologne Game Lab (Conference Location)
Phone: +49 221 8275 – 4044
For further questions and information concerning the Clash of Realities Conference please contact us below.