Ulrich Götz, (* 1971), is professor at the Zurich University of the Arts (ZHdK), and heads the ZHdK Subject Area in Game Design since 2004. He was trained as an architect at the Berlin University of the Arts and the Escola Técnica Superior D’Arquitectura in Barcelona. He discusses comparable strategies of spatial design in architecture and game spaces in his research publications, public and university lectures. He argues that a lack of deeper understanding of architecture (from the perspective of game designers) and of game spaces (from the perspective of architects) is precisely what leads to the spatial constructions that lack architectural qualities in virtual spaces, and that fail to make proper use of the virtual world’s possibilities in real space. Over the years, Ulrich Götz has built up extensive experience in research and development of serious & applied games, during numerous cooperations with partners from medical, therapeutical, educational and economic contexts. His university teaching focuses on the analysis and design of game mechanics, game concepts, motivation design, serious & applied games, as well as spatial design in virtual environments.
- Götz, U. (2019). From Asteroids to Architectoids. Close Encounters between Architecture and Game Design. In: Architectonics of Game Spaces. The Spatial Logic of the Virtual and Its Meaning for the Real, pp. 201-214. transcript: Bielefeld.
- Götz, U. (2018). Rules Shape Spaces, Spaces Shape Rules. In: Suter, B. / Kocher, M. / Bauer, R. (eds.). Games and Rules. Game Mechanics for the „Magic Circle“, pp. 259-265. transcript: Bielefeld.
- Götz, U., (2018). Zugänge zu Zwischengängen – Konstruktion eines räumlichen Modells. In: Adamovsky, N. (Ed.): Digitale Moderne – Die Modellwelten von Matthias Zimmermann, pp. 230-249, Hirmer Verlag: München.
- Novak, D., Sigrist, R., Gerig, N.J., Wyss, D., Bauer, R., Götz, U., Riener, R. (2018). Benchmarking Brain-Computer Interfaces Outside the Laboratory: The Cybathlon 2016. Frontiers of Neuroscience. 11:756. DOI: 10.3389/fnins.2017.00756
- Martin-Niedecken, A.L., Bauer, R., Mauerhofer, R. & Götz, U. (2015). RehabConnex – A Middleware for the Flexible Connection of Multimodal Game Applications with Input Devices used in Movement Therapy and Physical Exercising. In: Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE Conference on Computational Intelligence and Games (CIG), pp. 496-502, IEEE Xplore Digital Library. ISBN 978-1-4799-8621-7 (Print). DOI 10.1109/CIG.2015.7317671.